Here is a list of essential items to have available during your labor and postpartum recovery.
“I am prepared for the birth that my body and baby need.” -Author Unknown
1. Your birth plan – bring your pre-filled out Unique Footprints birth plan with you
2. Your insurance card + drivers license
3. Comfortable clothes with robe, nursing bra and underwear (the hospital with have mesh panties and a hospital gown)
4. Organic nipple cream like Motherlove
NOTE: Only apply nipple cream to your nipples (NOT your areola) after feedings. If you apply ALL over, baby will slip which causes a shallow latch and nipple pain/abrasions can occur.
6. Your phone charger
7. Chap stick
9. Heating pad or rice sock – for labor (the hospital will have an instant heating pad but the heat does not last very long)
10. Ice packs – for labor and postpartum (the hospital will have these, just bring one if you have a favorite)
11. Hand fan – thanks to your hormones, you’ll be very hot during labor and postpartum
12. Hand massaging tool – for labor – or have husband massage you when wanting this
13. Diffusor with essential oils
NOTE: It’s not recommended to apply essential oils directly onto your skin during labor, you might LOVE a scent at one moment and be repelled by it at another.
14. Healthy snacks
15. Thermos with hydrating liquid, i.e. water or coconut water
16. Exercise ball (the hospital will have this available for you)
17. Birth stool (the hospital or birth center will have this)
18. Pads for medium to heavy flow (the hospital pads do not stick that well, a lot of moms like to bring their own pads)
19. Flip flops (for the shower)
20. Baby – car seat
21. Baby – going home outfit
You won’t need much for baby. Your baby will be skin to skin most of the time and the hospital provides swaddle blankets, infant shirt, diapers, wipes and bulb syringe.
Pro Tip: Remember, what you pack, you have to pack up and bring home with a newborn baby. I’ve seen new dads take out 2 and 3 loads. Choose your essential items and narrow it down into 1 suitcase for you/baby and that will be plenty.
We’d love to hear from you moms – Let us know if there is anything not listed that would be of help to you so we can have the BEST list out there to help as many moms as possible.
Preview the Program