Why You Need to Find a Pediatrician

90% of my patients at the hospital don’t have a pediatrician (baby doctor) for their infant at discharge.

Did you know that most infants have follow up appointments within 48 hours once discharged home from a hospital?  After delivery, you’re just trying to adjust and the last thing you want to do is search for a pediatrician…RIGHT?!? At the hospital families seemed shocked by the follow up dates, especially since the majority of families didn’t think this was necessary.  It’s actually really important because the 48 hour follow up with your pediatrician helps YOU and BABY!  It’s meant to check your baby’s labs, treat if necessary and to see how you all are adjusting.  I had a family say, “I was busy planning for everything else and completely forgot I needed a pediatrician for my baby”.

One of the most valuable things you can do during your pregnancy to decrease stress and prepare for your baby is to research and find a pediatrician.

TIPS:

1. Ask family and friends who their pediatrician is and why they chose that doctor

2. Find a pediatrician who is in your insurance network

3. Proximity to your home and/or work is important

4. Choose a pediatrician you trust, remember you might invest in this doctor for 18 years or longer.  I know families that interviewed doctors, so know that you have that option too.

I’d love to know: How did you find your pediatrician?

Important: Leave a comment below and share your pediatrician tips.  Please know that other moms can truly benefit from what you have to say!

Thank you so much for reading.  I truly hope these tips help you through your pregnancy journey.

Share this post with anyone you think would benefit.

XO,

Jenny

9 Comments

Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

Elsa Andersonreply
March 23, 2018 at 11:03 AM

My husband and I are expecting a baby, but we don’t know much about finding a pediatrician. I am glad I found this article, because I had no idea that a pediatrician usually sets a 48 hour follow up after your baby is born! Also, I agree that you should ask for recommendations from family and friends because they have personal experience.

Sutton Turnerreply
August 30, 2018 at 08:08 AM

I didn’t know that know that most infants have follow up appointments within 48 hours once discharged home from a hospital. I am pregnant with my first baby. Thanks for the tips on finding a pediatrician.

Dio Marsaillereply
September 26, 2018 at 05:09 PM

I have to agree with you when you mentioned making sure that the pediatrician I hire is someone I can trust because I might be relying on him for 18 years or longer. A friend of mine once had a pediatrician, and she needed him until she was 19 years old, so I believe what you said. Anyway, since she lives a few cities away, I can’t ask for her pediatrician. But maybe I can ask for the professional’s recommendation of someone he knows who works near me.

Gary Puntmanreply
November 02, 2018 at 11:11 AM

I agree that you need to make sure you find a pediatrician who is in your insurance network, like you suggested. That will ensure that costs are covered. That will be the first thing I do when I find a pediatrician for my daughter in my new city.

Taylor Bishopreply
December 07, 2018 at 01:12 PM

I wanted to thank you for explaining why it could be good to find a pediatrician. I’m glad you said that you should consider how close the doctor is from your home or work. This sounds really important especially if you want to visit them quickly in case of an emergency or something similar.

Jackson Bushreply
July 16, 2019 at 10:07 AM

I like how you mentioned that you should find a pediatrician who is in your insurance network. My wife is wondering how she can find the best pediatrician. I’ll be sure to let her know that she should look for someone in our insurance network.

Mia Stewartreply
July 18, 2019 at 11:07 AM

I like how the article explains that you should make sure to find a good pediatrician before you have your baby. I never thought of needing a pediatrician right away but it is important. Thank you for explaining why you need a pediatrician before having your baby.

David Johnsonreply
August 07, 2019 at 03:08 PM

Thank you for explaining that it’s really important, to reduce your stress, to find a pediatrician. Recently, one of my friends announced they were having a baby. I’ll have to look further into pediatrician services.

Kate Hansenreply
August 08, 2019 at 02:08 PM

I like how you included that you should find a pediatrician who is in your insurance network. My daughter just had her first baby girl and wants to know some tips on how to find one. I’ll make sure to pass this information along to her while she searches for a pediatrician.